Monday, May 02, 2005

Walking and Hiking Quotes

I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read and all the friends I want to see.  ~John Burroughs The civilized man has built a coach, but has lost the use of his feet.  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Self-Reliance," 1841 Walking isn't a lost art - one must, by some means, get to the garage.  ~Evan Esar There is this to be said for walking:  It's the one mode of human locomotion by which a man proceeds on his own two feet, upright, erect, as a man should be, not squatting on his rear haunches like a frog.  ~Edward Abbey In the morning a man walks with his whole body; in the evening, only with his legs.  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson The best remedy for a short temper is a long walk.  ~Jacqueline Schiff The body's habituation to walking as normal stems from the good old days.  It was the bourgeois form of locomotion: physical demythologization, free of the spell of hieratic pacing, roofless wandering, breathless flight.  Human dignity insisted on the right to walk, a rhythm not extorted from the body by command or terror.  The walk, the stroll, were private ways of passing time, the heritage of the feudal promenade in the nineteenth century.  ~Theodor W. Adorno An early-morning walk is a blessing for the whole day.  ~Henry David Thoreau There is nothing like walking to get the feel of a country.  A fine landscape is like a piece of music; it must be taken at the right tempo.  Even a bicycle goes too fast.  ~Paul Scott Mowrer, The House of Europe I represent what is left of a vanishing race, and that is the pedestrian.... That I am still able to be here, I owe to a keen eye and a nimble pair of legs.  But I know they'll get me someday.  ~Will Rogers My grandmother started walking five miles a day when she was sixty.  She's ninety-three today and we don't know where the hell she is.  ~Ellen DeGeneres If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear t

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home