Monday, May 02, 2005

Vegetarian Quotes

Spock, Star Trek, "Wolf in the Fold" The human body has no more need for cows' milk than it does for dogs' milk, horses' milk, or giraffes' milk.  ~Michael Klaper, M.D., author of Vegan Nutrition: Pure & Simple Tongue - a variety of meat, rarely served because it clearly crosses the line between a cut of beef and a piece of a dead cow.  ~Bob Ekstrom Recognize meat for what it really is:  the antibiotic- and pesticide-laden corpse of a tortured animal.  ~Ingrid Newkirk, National Director of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals I will not eat anything that walks, runs, skips, hops or crawls.  God knows that I've crawled on occasion, and I'm glad that no one ate me.  ~Alex Poulos We all love animals.  Why do we call some "pets" and others "dinner?"  ~k.d. lang Coexistence... what the farmer does with the turkey - until Thanksgiving.  ~Mike Connolly I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician.  ~Marty Feldman I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants.  ~A. Whitney Brown A man can live and be healthy without killing animals for food; therefore, if he eats meat, he participates in taking animal life merely for the sake of his appetite.  ~Leo Tolstoy A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows.  ~George Bernard Shaw A man of my spiritual intensity does not eat corpses.  ~George Bernard Shaw I never go without my dinner.  No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that.  ~Oscar Wilde There is no substitute for mother's milk.  ~Martin H. Fischer I've found without question that the best way to lead others to a more plant-based diet is by example - to lead with your fork, not your mouth.  ~Bernie WilkeTruely man is the king of beasts, for his brutality exceeds theirs.  We live by the death of others:  we are burial places!  I have from an early age abjured the use of meat, and the time will come when men such as I will look on the murder of animals as they now look on the murder of men.  ~Leonardo da Vinci I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.  ~Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854 I venture to maintain that there are multitudes to whom the necessity of discharging the duties of a butcher would be so inexpressibly painful and revolting, that if they could obtain a flesh diet on no other condition, they would relinquish it forever.  ~W.E.H. Lecky You have just dined, and however scrupulously the slaughterhouse is concealed in the graceful distance of miles, there is complicity.  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson People often say that humans have always eaten animals, as if this is a justification for continuing the practice.  According to this logic, we should not try to prevent people from murdering other people, since this has also been done since the earliest of times.  ~Isaac Bashevis Singer While we ourselves are the living graves of murdered beasts, how can we expect any ideal conditions on this earth?  ~George Bernard Shaw I just could not stand the idea of eating meat - I really do think that it has made me calmer....  People's general awareness is getting much better, even down to buying a pint of milk:  the fact that the calves are actually killed so that the milk doesn't go to them but to us cannot really be right, and if you have seen a cow in a state of extreme distress because it cannot understand why its calf isn't by, it can make you think a lot.  ~Kate Bush I think if you want to eat more meat you should kill it yourself and eat it raw so that you are not blinded by the hypocrisy of having it processed for you.  ~Margi Clark This [video footage from the movie Babe] is the way Americans want to think of pigs.  Real-life "Babes" see no sun in their limited lives, with no hay to lie on, no mud to roll in.  The sows live in tiny cages, so narrow they can't even turn around.  They live over metal grates, and their waste is pushed through slats beneath them and flushed into huge pits.  ~Morley Safer, "Pork Power," 60 Minutes, 19 September 1997 "Thou shalt not kill" does not apply to murder of one's own kind only, but to all living beings; and this Commandment was inscribed in the human breast long before it was proclaimed from Sinai.  ~Leo Tolstoy As soon as I realized that I didn't need meat to survive or to be in good health, I began to see how forlorn it all is.  If only we had a different mentality about the drama of the cowboy and the range and all the rest of it.  It's a very romantic notion, an entrenched part of Americ

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home