Monday, May 02, 2005

Simplicity Quotes

I like to walk about among the beautiful things that adorn the world; but private wealth I should decline, or any sort of personal possessions, because they would take away my liberty.  ~George Santayana, "The Irony of Liberalism" Live simply that others might simply live.  ~Elizabeth Seaton Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is the noble art of leaving things undone.  The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of non-essentials.  ~Lin Yutang As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.  ~Henry David Thoreau Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.  ~Leonardo DaVinci Anything simple always interests me.  ~David Hockney Our affluent society contains those of talent and insight who are driven to prefer poverty, to choose it, rather than submit to the desolation of an empty abundance.  ~Michael Harrington How many things are there which I do not want.  ~Socrates I go about looking at horses and cattle.  They eat grass, make love, work when they have to, bear their young.  I am sick with envy of them.  ~Sherwood Anderson Remember that in giving any reason at all for refusing, you lay some foundation for a future request.  ~Arthur Helps, Essays Written in Intervals of Business, 1841 The true Indian sets no price upon either his property or his labor.  His generosity is limited only by his strength and ability.  He regards it as an honor to be selected for difficult or dangerous service and would think it shameful to ask for any reward, saying rather:  Let the person I serve express his thanks according to his own bringing up and his sense of honor.  ~Ohiyesa of the Santee Sioux (Charles Alexander Eastman) Who is rich?  He who rejoices in his portion.  ~The Talmud You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need.  ~Vernon Howard Since all the riches of this world May be gifts from the Devil and earthly kings, I should suspect that I worshipp'd the Devil If I thank'd my God for worldly things. ~William Blake, Gnomic Verses Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity!  I say, let your affairs be as two or three, and not a hundred or a thousand instead of a million count half a dozen, and keep your accounts on your thumb-nail.  ~Henry David Thoreau If you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the wo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home