Monday, May 02, 2005

Mother Quotes

A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts.  ~Washington Irving Any mother could perform the jobs of several air traffic controllers with ease.  ~Lisa Alther A mother's arms are made of tenderness and children sleep soundly in them.  ~Victor Hugo Now, as always, the most automated appliance in a household is the mother.  ~Beverly Jones That best academy, a mother's knee.  ~James Russell Lowell The only mothers it is safe to forget on Mother's Day are the good ones.  ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic's Notebook, 1960 A mother's happiness is like a beacon, lighting up the future but reflected also on the past in the guise of fond memories.  ~Honoré de Balzac A father may turn his back on his child, brothers and sisters may become inveterate enemies, husbands may desert their wives, wives their husbands.  But a mother's love endures through all.  ~Washington Irving My mother is a poem I'll never be able to write, though everything I write is a poem to my mother. ~Sharon Doubiago Grown don't mean nothing to a mother.  A child is a child.  They get bigger, older, but grown?  What's that suppose to mean?  In my heart it don't mean a thing.  ~Toni Morrison, Beloved, 1987 With what price we pay for the glory of motherhood.  ~Isadora Duncan One good mother is worth a hundred schoolmasters.  ~George Herbert Mother's love is peace.  It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved.  ~Erich Fromm Who ran to help me when I fell, And would some pretty story tell, Or kiss the place to make it well? My mother. ~Ann Taylor Mother - that was the bank where we deposited all our hurts and worries.  ~T. DeWitt Talmage The precursor of the mirror is the mother's face.  ~D.W. Winnicott, Playing and Reality, 1971 Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children.  ~William Makepeace Thackeray A daughter is a mother's gender partner, her closest ally in the family confederacy, an extension of her self.  And mothers are their daughters' role model, their biological and emotional road map, the arbiter of all their relationships.  ~Victoria Secunda Mother's love grows by giving.  ~Charles Lamb I miss thee, my Mother!  Thy image is still The deepest impressed on my heart. ~Eliza Cook The tie which links mother and child is of such pure and immaculate strength as to be never violated.  ~Washington Irving I cannot forget my mother.  [S]he is my bridge.  When I needed to get across, she steadied herself long enough for me to run across safely.  ~Renita Weems A little girl, asked where her home was, replied, "where mother is."  ~Keith L. Brooks Youth fades; love droops; the leaves of friendship fall; A mother's secret hope outlives them all.  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes Most of all the other beautiful things in life come by twos and threes, by dozens and hundreds.  Plenty of roses, stars, sunsets, rainbows, brothers and sisters, aunts and cousins, comrades and friends - but only one mother in the whole world.  ~Kate Douglas Wiggin If I was damned of body and soul, I know whose prayers would make me whole, Mother o' mine, O mother o'mine. ~Rudyard Kipling Whatever else is unsure in this stinking dunghill of a world a mother's love is not.  ~James Joyce My mother had a slender, small body, but a large heart - a heart so large that everybody's joys found welcome in it, and hospitable accommodation.  ~Mark Twain It's not easy being a mother.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home