Monday, May 02, 2005

Miscellaneous Quotes, page one

  ~André Gide, The Counterfeiters, 1926 It is not impossibilities which fill us with the deepest despair, but possibilities which we have failed to realize.  ~Robert Mallett, Apostilles, 1972 Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized.  In the first, it is ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, in the third it is regarded as self-evident.  ~Arthur Schopenhauer Our greatest pretenses are built up not to hide the evil and the ugly in us, but our emptiness.  The hardest thing to hide is something that is not there.  ~Eric Hoffer, Passionate State of Mind, 1955 It's pretty hard to be efficient without being obnoxious.  ~Kin Hubbard Any philosophy that can be put in a nutshell belongs there.  ~Branch Rickey Now he has departed from this strange world a little ahead of me.  That signifies nothing.  For us believing physicists the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion.  ~Albert Einstein God made everything out of nothing.  But the nothingness shows through.  ~Paul Valéry, Mauvaises pensées et autres, 1942 Doubt is not a pleasant state of mind, but certainty is absurd.  ~Voltaire, 1767 We're all hookers.  What matters is dignity.  ~Mike Farren The ideas I stand for are not mine.  I borrowed them from Socrates.  I swiped them from Chesterfield.  I stole them from Jesus.  And I put them in a book.  If you don't like their rules, whose would you use?  ~Dale Carnegie Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference. ~Robert Frost, "The Road Not Taken," 1916 Architecture begins where engineering ends.  ~Walter Gropius I believe in rules.  Sure I do.  If there weren't any rules, how could you break them?  ~Leo Durocher Keep a diary and one day it'll keep you.  ~Mae WestIt doesnÂ’t interest me what planets are squaring your moon... I want to know if you have touched the centre of your own sorrow...if you can dance with wildness and let the ecstasy fill you to the tips of your fingers and toes...And if you can source your own life from its presence.~Oriah Mountain Dreamer, from "The Invitation" (read the rest of the poem on her homepage Thou glorious mirror, where the Almighty's form Glasses itself in tempests. ~George Gordon, Lord Byron, Childe Harold's Pilgrimage A wise man is not governed by others, nor does he try to govern them; he prefers that reason alone prevail.  ~La Bruyère, Characters, 1688 All my best thoughts were stolen by the ancients.  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson And thus I clothe my naked villainy With odd old ends stolen forth of Holy Writ And seem a saint when most I play the devil. ~William Shakespeare, Richard III, 1593 From the satisfaction of desire there may arise, accompanying joy and as it were sheltering behind it, something not unlike despair.  ~André Gide, The Counterfeiters, 1925 A scholar who loves comfort is not fit to be called a

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home