Thursday, May 12, 2005

Carpe Diem Quotes

Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead.  ~Scottish Proverb To always be intending to live a new life, but never find time to set about it - this is as if a man should put off eating and drinking from one day to another till he be starved and destroyed.  ~Walter Scott I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read and all the friends I want to see.  ~John Burroughs Never forget that you must die; that death will come sooner than you expect... God has written the letters of death upon your hands.  In the inside of your hands you will see the letters M.M.  It means "Memento Mori" - remember you must die.  ~J. Furniss, Tracts for Spiritual Reading There are a million ways to lose a work day, but not even a single way to get one back.  ~Tom DeMarco and Timothy Lister To change one's life:  Start immediately.  Do it flamboyantly.  No exceptions.  ~William James Why must conversions always come so late?  Why do people always apologize to corpses?  ~David Brin You will never find time for anything.  If you want time you must make it.  ~Charles Buxton Men for the sake of getting a living forget to live.  ~Margaret Fuller Death twitches my ear.  "Live," he says, "I am coming."  ~Virgil (Publius Vergilius Maro), Minor Poems, Copa He has spent all his life in letting down empty buckets into empty wells; and he is frittering away his age in trying to draw them up again.  ~Sydney Smith Fear not that life shall come to an end, but rather fear that it shall never have a beginning.  ~John Henry Cardinal Newman You live longer once you realize that any time spent being unhappy is wasted.  ~Ruth E. Renkl You may delay, but time will not.  ~Benjamin Franklin We cannot waste time.  We can only waste ourselves.  ~George M. Adams How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives.  ~Annie Dillard, The Writing Life I would I could stand on a busy corner, hat in hand, and beg people to throw me all their wasted hours.  ~Bernard Berenson I have spent my days stringing and unstringing my instrument, while the song I came to sing remains unsung.  ~Tagore Many people die with their music still in them.  Why is this so?  Too often it is because they are always getting ready to live.  Before they know it, time runs out.  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes Contemplation often makes life miserable.  We should act more, think less, and stop watching ourselves live.  ~Nicolas de Chamfort I held a momen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home