Thursday, May 12, 2005

Brevity Quotes

A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts.  ~William Strunk, Jr., The Elements of Style, 1918 If it takes a lot of words to say what you have in mind, give it more thought.  ~Dennis Roth The present letter is a very long one, simply because I had no leisure to make it shorter.  ~Blaise Pascal, translated from French, Lettres Provinciales, XVI, 1656 In composing, as a general rule, run your pen through every other word you have written; you have no idea what vigor it will give your style.  ~Sydney Smith If you bring that sentence in for a fitting, I can have it shortened by Wednesday.  ~M*A*S*H, Hawkeye, "The Gun" If any man will draw up his case, and put his name at the foot of the first page, I will give him an immediate reply.  Where he compels me to turn over the sheet, he must wait my leisure.  ~Lord Sandwich Brevity is the soul of lingerie.  ~Dorothy Parker If you can't write your idea on the back of my calling card, you don't have a clear ide

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home